Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Baked Mini Ravioli with Marinara Sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 medium yellow onion (chopped)
1 can crushed tomatoes
Italian seasoning (I used basil and oregano)
1 pkg frozen mini cheese ravioli (9 oz)
1 cup bread crumbs
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Set out 2 bowls. In 1 bowl, whisk 2 egg whites with a dash of sea salt and pepper. In the 2nd bowl, add bread crumbs (I actually toasted a couple slices of whole wheat bread and chopped in the food processor), oregano, thyme, sea salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
3. Coat each ravioli in the egg white mixture and roll around in the breading mixture and place on baking sheet. Repeat this for the rest of the ravioli.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, add oil to a medium pan over medium high heat and saute onions until translucent.
6. Add garlic, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
7. Add sauce to a food processor and cover hole at the top with a towel to allow steam to escape. Blend until desired consistency. Pour into small serving bowls.
I paired this meal with a Red Grape & Feta Salad. Stay tuned for that recipe...